Current State of Lactation Support at the University
With funding from a Campus Climate Microgrant, and in collaboration with the Center for
Leadership Education in Maternal and Child Public Health, the Student Parent Help Center, and the
Council of Graduate Students, the Lactation Advocacy Committee (LAC) facilitated four focus-group-style discussions with students about student lactation-related needs and experiences on the Twin Cities campus.
This report was compiled by the Lactation Advocacy Committee (LAC) for consideration by members of the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities (U of MN-TC) community, but particularly by University leadership, as we work toward becoming an MDH-recognized Breastfeeding-Friendly Workplace.
The LAC's Proposal
Get Involved with the LAC
- Sign our letter encouraging the creation of a Breastfeeding Support Policy.
- To receive email updates from the Lactation Advocacy Committee on monthly meetings and our 2018-2019 initiative to pass a resolution through University Senate, sign up HERE.
- Attend a LAC meeting. These meetings are typically held on the first Thursdays of every month from 10:00 - 11:00am in Appleby 109 (search for uofmlac in google calendar). Contact Sara Benning (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Sarah Keene (email@example.com) with questions.
- Create a lactation space for your students, employees, and visitors.
- Help us keep track of lactation spaces on our campus using the Register A Space form on our website.
- Submit feedback or a story about a lactation space or on the state of lactation support in general on our campus.